Netherton Foundry Shropshire

Netherton Foundry Shropshire
Classic cookware, made in England

Sunday 29 September 2013

Lamb in red wine


I love it when you send us your recipes, there are so many talented and imaginative cooks out there.
So when Janice sent this recipe to me, I really wanted to share it with you - so here it is and I have to say, I can't wait to try this myself.
This one was cooked in the garden hob - making the most of our Indian Summer, but I think this will be just as good cooked in the electric slow cooker when winter sets in.



Today I was very busy and wanted something tasty for dinner which wouldn't take up much time. I also wanted to use my garden hob as the weather forecast was for fine weather.

My husband was sent off to buy anything he fancied for dinner and he came back with a boned half shoulder of lamb. So I decided to go for slow cooked lamb in red wine.

Ingredients:
Half shoulder of lamb boned and rolled
2 - 3 sprigs of rosemary
1 large or 2-3 small cloves of garlic
1 large glass of red wine
Sea salt to taste
1 table spoon of oil
1 tsp mint jelly
1 tsp damson jelly

Method
Prepare the lamb by tucking slivers of garlic into the meat. Salt the meat to taste.
Heat the cast iron bowl on the kitchen hob and add the table spoon of oil and brown the meat all over. Pour over the red wine and add the rosemary sprigs. Bring the wine to boil. Put on the lid and transfer to the garden hob. Leave to cook for 4-5 hours.
Remove the meat and cover loosely with foil and keep warm.
Add the two jellies to the sauce on the kitchen hob and dissolve. Boil vigorously to reduce by to half and achieve a nice glossy sauce.


The lamb will be wonderfully tender and the sauce tasty. Serve with whatever you like. We had roast potatoes and parsnip together with lots of veg - carrots, swede, broccoli and cabbage. A feast!

With many thanks to.......

Janice Bell
Bread at Home
www.bread-at-home.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment