Netherton Foundry Shropshire

Netherton Foundry Shropshire
Classic cookware, made in England

Sunday 2 April 2017

Day trip to Kent

A couple of weeks ago, I packed up the blue van and headed south to Kent for the day.
Yes, I know it's a long way, but when you can be sure of a warm welcome at the other end, it's worth the early start.

The motorways, M42, M40, M25, M26 and M2 were all clear of roadworks and "incidents", making the journey smooth and trouble free.


First stop was Pastures New in Rochester to drop off some new stock; a lovely shop with some delightful, hand painted children's wooden wares.  So if you are on the lookout for a very special, personalised present, go and talk to Sue.




A quick drive around the castle, after all why go all that way and not fit in some sightseeing, then off to Faversham.




At the invitation of the staff, I was spending a "Meet the Maker" day at Macknades Farm Shop, an impressive food emporium, cafe and retailer of Netherton wares.

As warm a welcome as my last visit and the coffee lived up to my memories too.

The product display in the shop looks great and, I guess, even without my standing there in my Netherton apron, regularly attracts a lot of attention.

Numerous staff and customers came over to chat and ask questions and a number of purchases were made too.



One lady even spotted our Twitter notification that I would be there and came over especially to me meet me - I felt like a minor celebrity.


Last time I visited Macknades, was in the autumn and I came home with a bagful of seasonal vegetables which were turned into a Selling Road salad.

This time, I couldn't resist the new season rhubarb and I have created this recipe with Macknade's in mind.  I think I shall call it a Faversham Flavourbomb

Social media and the press are currently awash with rhubarb and blood orange recipes, and as fascinating as it is to see trends emerge and take hold, I fancied adding a different element. 


6 stalks rhubarb
2 dessertspoon orange infused sugar (or granulated sugar and the grated rind of one orange)
50ml water

Cut the rhubarb into 1" long pieces and place in a prospector casserole 
Sprinkle the sugar over the top and pour in the water.



Cover with the lid.
Cook over a gentle heat for about 15 minutes,  until the rhubarb is just cooked.  
Taste and add a little more sugar if it is not to your liking.  Be careful, this will have a sweet topping, so don't go overboard.



120g butter
100g sugar
60g black treacle
2 eggs

Preheat the oven to 170ÂșC
Separate the eggs.
Melt the butter and treacle together in a saucepan, and set aside to cool a little.
Whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
If you happen to have a bottle of beer open, add a splash to the eggs and carry on whisking.
Add the melted butter mix to the eggs and whisk again.
Beat the egg whites until stiff and then carefully fold into the egg and treacle mixture.

Spoon this over the cooled rhubarb in the prospector pan.
Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.



Serve warm, rather than piping hot either on its own or with Greek yogurt, cream or creme fraiche.
It is lovely and light, but with a rich, sticky toffee flavour.

I reckon this would also work with other sharp fruits such as egg plums or gooseberries, when in season.

© Netherton Foundry 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment