Netherton Foundry Shropshire

Netherton Foundry Shropshire
Classic cookware, made in England

Thursday 26 April 2018

From the kitchen cupboard

There are weeks when the days come and go in a blur; the washing basket overflows, the dust gathers under the sofa, the dishwasher isn't emptied and somehow there is never a moment to pop to the shops.
It's at times like these that I reach for Claire Thomson's great book The Art of the Larder and pat myself on the back for following her sound advice about a stock of staples from which you can pull together a store cupboard supper.
Two things to note before I go any further;
Do buy this book and when you do, please buy it from an independent book retailer either on-line or, better still,  on the High Street.  I have included a link above to a seller. I note with a tinge of sadness that Waterstones has today been sold to an investment firm.
Today I voted for this great book in the OFM Awards 2018 and if you want to join me, just follow the link.

This recipe is not directly from the book, but it was born within its covers and took its first steps in the Netherton kitchen.  I send it out into the world, conscious of its parentage and ready to be shaped by others who meet it along the way.

This served 2 hungry souls, after a long day at the workshops.



Heat a large pan full of salted water and chuck in as much pasta as you can eat.
Leave it cooking while you get on with the rest of this.

There are few other measurements, make it up as you go along, adjusting and improvising to suit taste and appetite

Rapeseed oil
Cauliflower, cut into small florets
Raisins
Onions, sliced
Hazelnuts, chopped
Breadcrumbs, sprinkled with a glug of oil and baked in a moderate oven
Capers
Parmesan
Parsley, chopped.

Put a generous splash of rapeseed oil in a prospector or frying pan
Warm over a moderate heat.
Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, then add the cauliflower.
Continue cooking until the cauliflower starts to take on a little colour.
Add the raisins and 1 tablespoon of the pasta cooking water.
Cook for 5 minutes to allow the raisins to plump up and the liquid evaporate.
Add the hazelnuts and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

Drain the pasta.
Stir into the cauliflower mix along with the capers.
Scatter the parsley, Parmesan and breadcrumbs over the top and eat immediately.

www.netherton-foundry.co.uk
Netherton Foundry Shropshire 2018 ©

4 comments:

  1. That sounds really interesting, almost middle Eastern. I am not a vegetarian but feeling a bit “meated out” recently so I might give this a go for supper. I’ve even got the cauliflower in the fridge so no need to shop until tomorrow. That will give me more time to continue my sourdough journey today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to hear what you think of it.

      Delete
    2. We have just finished supper and I have to say so tasty. I made enough so that we have leftovers for a pasta side salad for lunch over the weekend

      Delete
    3. So glad you liked it and thank you for taking the time to let me know. It means a lot to get feedback.

      Delete