Netherton Foundry Shropshire

Netherton Foundry Shropshire
Classic cookware, made in England

Sunday 6 December 2015

Apley Farm game cooking

Last weekend I was delighted to do my first "real" cookery demonstration at the Apley Farm Christmas  Food Fayre, miked up and everything!!!

I was pretty nervous and I can honestly say that when I saw some of the video footage that was taken, I can't remember saying what I did. There's a snippet on our Instagram page.

But I had faith in the kit I was using, our own pans, of course and my IOShen knife, as well as the splendid produce from the farm shop.


 


And what's more, I had practiced my latest dish several times in advance.
Tried and tested thoroughly by the rest of the team.

6 juniper berries

6 allspice berries
2 dstsp flour
Pinch salt
2 pheasant breasts
Rapeseed oil
Butter
100ml White wine
25 ml damson gin or port
2 Tblsp double cream
¼ Savoy cabbage, chopped
50g smoked, streaky bacon
10 cooked and peeled chestnuts

Crush the juniper berries and allspice, with a pinch of salt
Mix with the flour and put on a plate or, my preferred method, put it in a plastic bag.
Coat the pheasant in seasoned flour, if you've put the flour in the bag, throw in the pheasant and give it a good shake.
Dust off the excess flour.
Put a knob of butter and a glug of rapeseed oil in to a frying pan.
Heat the pan over a medium heat until the butter foams
Put the pheasant in to the pan.
Cook for 3 minutes.


Turn over and cook for another 4 minutes. If you've got a steak press, use it now!!


Set aside and keep warm.

Add another knob of butter and 1 tsp seasoned flour to pan.
Stir thoroughly and cook for 2 minutes.  Add the wine and the gin, stir well.
Cook until thickened.
Add the cream, season to taste and turn the heat as low as it will go.

Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok.
Add the chopped bacon and cook over a high heat for 5 minutes, until starting to brown
Add the cabbage and chestnuts and stir fry for 3 minutes

Place the cabbage on a serving plate.
Cut each pheasant breast into 3 slices and lay on top of the cabbage
Drizzle the sauce on top
Serve, ideally with some roast potatoes

© Netherton Foundry Shropshire 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment